Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Spidey & Lightning Scripture Bags

This last Christmas I took the Handmade Pledge, but instead of just buying handmade, since I am a crafter at heart, I wanted to make as many gifts as possible. This was a little difficult as I was very busy with my photography business, so it left me with little time to create. But I really wanted to make some things for my kids that they really wanted or needed. I had some great ideas for my girls...2 of them had already asked for the school bags that I made them. I knew I could also make flower clips, headbands, or any type of jewelry & they would be happy. But what would I make for my boys? That task was a little harder.

bags

My oldest boy, S-man (8 yr. old), was baptized on the 19th of December & as tradition we give our children their first "real" set of scriptures with their names engraved on them & a scripture bag, for their baptism. Well, the bag I bought S-man barely fit the scriptures & I knew it wasn't going to last long. The bags that would have fit better were more expensive than the scriptures themselves & I couldn't see how that made any sense at all...so I thought this was something that I could make for him...but what about Mr. C (my 5 yr. old)?

bags,sewing


Well, the day after S-man's baptism when he grabbed his scripture bag (the one I bought him) as we were heading out the door for church, Mr. C insisted that he have a bag too. So he headed back to the bedroom & went in search of a bag that he could carry to church. Well, the only one he could find & was satisfied with was big sister, Missy M's, little pretty, flowery scripture bag. So he went to church with that! This was when I decided that he needed his own "church" bag as well. Both of the boys were so excited when they opened their bags on Christmas day & that really did my heart good.

bags,sewing

You can't really see it in these photos, but I made a pocket out of the printed fabric on one side of each bag, but it was a little too short, so it doesn't really hold much in it. It's still there, but I'll be adjusting the pattern a little to make it deeper next time, so it will hold items in better.

The Spidey & Lightning fabric I used on these bags were scraps left over from these bags that I made for my sisters boys back a few months ago. It's amazing what little scraps can be used for, so don't throw those little pieces away, unless they are truly too small for any project!

Simply Crafting,

Delicious Tweet It! Facebook

No comments:

{my other sites}

{my photography}
Moments of Life
{Table for 5} ~Recipes & other great stuff

Follow Me on Pinterest

What I believe...

What I Believe

awards I've recieved from some very nice people...Thank You!

awards I've recieved from some very nice people...Thank You!
from Arnnette...click on the picture to visit her blog!

Support Handmade!

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org Save Handmade Toys

Please give credit where credit is due for the work I've created! Thank you!

Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Software

Search This Site

Beaded Watches

I've been featured at...

Some great causes...

Blog Archive

Catagories

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP